Playa del Carmen is a beach town on the Mexican Caribbean, popular among tourists of all ages. Here you can find some of the best residential properties on the Riviera Maya. If you are considering moving down to Mexico, you might be wondering what’s living in downtown Playa del Carmen like! Let’s take a look!
Downtown Playa del Carmen: A Fusion of Mexican Culture and European Comfort
Playa del Carmen is a world-renowned must-visit resort, famous for its relaxed atmosphere and modern infrastructure. It is a town of luxurious hotels, great restaurants, and stores that will satisfy even the most sophisticated shopaholic. Playa has supermarkets, world-class hospitals, gyms, cafes in every corner, drugstores, car rental offices.
By the way, the center is so walkable that you don’t need a car here. Downtown Playa del Carmen is home to the magnificent Mamitas Beach Club that annually hosts an International Jazz Festival. Due to Playa’s favorable location, you can quickly get to the main attractions of the Yucatan Peninsula. If you feel like visiting Cancun, Tulum or Coba, you can take a comfortable minivan called “Collectivo” or an ADO bus.
Fifth Avenue: The Gem of Playa del Carmen
Fifth Avenue (or Quinta Avenida in Spanish) is the main attraction and the most famous street in town. It is a pedestrian street that runs parallel to the sea. Here you can find hundreds of shops, gift stores, cafes, restaurants, and vacationers from all over the world. The foodies may treat themselves to Italian, Mexican, or French cuisine, and of course, the freshest local seafood dishes.
The average bill for lunch with drinks in a gourmet restaurant is around $15 USD per person. Despite the international atmosphere, you can still feel the exotic vibe of Mexico, as local authorities encourage the preservation of the Mayan culture. Thus, in the evenings you can enjoy the Mayan show in the Park Fundadores in front of the main pier. On Thursdays, an Art Bazar takes place between 24th Street to 32nd Street. You can buy paintings of talented local and international artists for very affordable prices.
A Thriving Expat Community
Unlike Cancun, the buildings here can be no more than four floors high. Due to this, the downtown area in Playa del Carmen looks pretty much European. It attracts a lot of foreigners who live here year-round or seasonally to enjoy the cheap cost of living, amazing food, friendly locals. And this is not the whole list of the benefits of living in Playa! Some foreigners arrive here as snowbirds, and after a few months, they stay in this Caribbean paradise forever. Not all expats are retirees, though. Some buy property here and work from home, and others open restaurants, diving schools, and other businesses.
Besides enjoying the great weather year-round, there are other perks about becoming a local. For example, you can visit the best attractions in the Riviera Maya with a 50% discount. One of the most notable is the Xcaret nature park where different thematic events and performances dedicated to the national culture are held. Other famous theme parks run by Xcaret are Xel-Ha, Xplor, Xplor Fuego, Xavage, Xoximilco, and Xenses. All of these parks are located around 20 to 40 minutes away from Playa del Carmen. Thus, Playa is a perfect place to be on a permanent vacation while running your own business.
Moving to Playa del Carmen
If you are thinking of making a move to Playa, we have several options for different budgets!
- La Residencia: This brand-new development offers 1 and 2-bedroom luxury condos from $140,000 USD. The highlight of this development is its excellent location, between 5th Avenue and the beach.
- The Yellow offers studios starting at $148,789 USD. This development has a magnificent rooftop with amenities such as a swimming pool, CrossFit area, sky bar, and more.
- Believe Condos these urban-style studios start at only $90,350 USD! Plus, they’re ideal to generate extra income as you can rent your unit when you’re out of town.
- L Condos is a new development with a fabulous location, only one block from 5th Avenue and two from the beach. L Condos has 1-bedroom condos and excellent amenities. Units start at $197,500 USD.
- Sofia Boutique Condos is a pre-construction development with studios starting at $108,916 USD. Sofia will offer a condo-hotel operation, so the owner can maximize their investment through vacation rentals.